Friday, August 24, 2007

We're Going Bowling Tonight

Personality-wise, I do a really good job hiding my inner-nerd. Unprovoked, I'll point my finger and laugh at Star-Wars-watching-Harry-Potter-reading-Apple-technology-obsessed geeks in order to hide who I truly am deep down inside: a girl who is obsessed with candlepin bowling.

Ok, I said it - I love candlepin bowling. If I had the opportunity I would play every day and twice on Sundays - I even watch it on the NH channel on Saturdays. For the life of me I can't understand why people in other parts of the country insist on duckpin or 10 pin when candelpin is such a far superior game.

Last night Anthony Michael Hall and I went to Westgate Lanes in Brockton to play a couple of strings and it probably wasn't the best date idea. I'm ok with being social while playing games that I completely suck at (billiards being the best example) but I become super competitive when strategizing a frame of candlepin. Despite the fact that I'm no candlepin superstar, a feeling of tunnel vision comes over me everytime I cradle that ball. Even when it's not my turn I find it very difficult to concentrate on anything other than knocking down every pin at the end of the alley.

Oddly, I'm a little superstitious when playing the game. I could go into further details, but after an ode to candelpin entry y'all probably think I'm a big enough whack job as it is.

I'd love to make bowling a regular social event but the truth is that I'll probably just end up ignoring everyone in order to concentrate on the game. However, recognizing that a buzzed Brockton is a happy Brockton, Westgate Lanes recently lifted their ban of beer in the alley which means after a few drinks I may change my tune. Therefore, if you're brave enough to brave Brockton, I'm down for a little candlepin action this Fall.

If you were not fortunate enough to grow up in eastern New England or the Canadian Maritimes, you can brush up on the game by going here. Don't get me started on the oddities of 10 pin.....

3 comments:

Queen Dee said...

"recognizing that a buzzed Brockton is a happy Brockton, Westgate Lanes recently lifted their ban of beer"

You, my friend, are priceless. Absolutely positively priceless.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Count me in! Maybe we can even make it a SK alumni event? Just a thought. Also, I miss you ridiculously. I saw a Crossfire parked on Charles Street this morning and it brought tears to my eyes. Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

It’s too bad that a lot of bowling alleys have closed over the years. I grew up in West Roxbury and we had (if I remember correctly) four bowling alleys in that neighborhood- now there are none. My friends and I spent many a Saturday night bowling and playing air hockey. Those are such fun memories for me. I still love candlepin bowling and try to go a few times a year.