Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Restaurant Review: The Daily Grill

Restaurant: The Daily Grill
Address: 105 Huntington Ave (inside the Pru), Boston, MA
Website: www.dailygrill.com
Rating: B

The Daily Grill chain recently took up residence in Boston's Prudential Center. I take Attorney Lee's urban dining suggestions rather seriously so I was definitely up for hitting a restaurant on her "must dine" list. The upscale atmosphere and American comfort food menu is definitely a welcome addition to the Back Bay.

Attorney Lee and I skipped appetizer calories in lieu of the wine menu, forgoing even the offer of free bread. However, if drinks and apps is your thing, I don't think that you will be disappointed with the small plate suggestions that range from hummus to sashimi tuna to BBQ chicken pizza. For her main course Atty. Lee decided on the cedar plank salmon, which she described as overly sweet and a bit unmemorable. I had the honey garlic chicken which was pretty good, though probably not a meal that is beyond my culinary skills. We both really enjoyed our side dishes of sauteed mushrooms (Atty. Lee) and mashed potatoes (me).

Noticing that there was still plenty of wine in the restaurant we skipped dessert for merlot and cab refills. The waitstaff was professional and attentive, allowing us to literally sit there for hours while making sure that our water glasses never dipped beyond half full. Even though we had reservations, the dining room was sparsly populated for a Tuesday night. I suspect that the Daily Grill is probably the type of restaurant that fills up on the weekends when the wait at the neighboring Cheesecake Factory borders on insanity. The prices are a bit high but not totally unreasonable for a Back Bay restaurant. The menu, atmosphere, and food quality closely mirrors Joe's American Bar and Grill.

The Daily Grill is located in Huntington Avenue across from the Collanade Hotel. Street parking is tough to come by so it's best to remember to get your Prudential Center parking garage ticket validated ($12). Like the rest of the Pru, it is easily accessible via MBTA Green Line (Arlington) or Orange Line/Commuter Rail (Back Bay).

1 comment:

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

And if you get lost off the Orange Line, don't forget, it's right across the street from Neiman Marcus ;-)